Power Supply Industry News
Knowledge is Power ™
SMPS Design Tools
Electronics Design Engineer Medical Devices - Novan Therapeutics, Durham, NC
The Electronics Design Engineer is responsible for developing electronic systems for medical device applications. The ideal candidate will be a confident individual contributor and an outstanding team player with proven track record of developing products from concept to mass production. In this position, the successful candidate will work closely with cross-functional teams to coordinate and carry on activities related to the products under development. As a key member of the Product Development organization, the Electronics Design Engineer candidate will integrate within a multi-disciplinary team to develop innovative, low power consumption, micro-processor controlled electro-optic medical device systems.. This position shall adhere to the Company's quality system including but not limited to the applicable standards, policies and procedures in the areas of responsibility defined in this job description.
Principal Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
1. Perform duties on site, on time, and within the Company's normal business hours listed in the Employee Handbook. Facilitate frequent interactions with co-workers and conduct timely problem-solving meetings necessary to address critical and emerging work issues. Present a positive attitude to create and maintain productive working relationships with fellow employees and vendors.
2. Design electronics circuits that incorporate discrete, MCUs, LED Drivers, Power Supplies and Communication Interfaces from concept to mass production.
3. Development of constant-voltage, constant-current, and/or boost power supplies.
4. As part of the design, the component selection, schematic capture, PCB layout, assembly, and testing of your own design is also required.
5. Assist with specification development, design analog/digital circuits, develop associated microprocessor firmware, and interface with vendors and contract manufacturers to bring design to production.
6. Develop technical documentation and inline testing specifications for production launch. Support the manufacturing team to validate electronic suppliers, and implement electrical designs in production.
7. Coordinate building of prototypes at different product development stages.
8. Flexibility to work with the management and development team to provide technical feasibility.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or life science. Individuals with equivalent combination of education, training, and related experience will be considered BS or Masters in Electrical Engineering or a BA/BS in Physics with a concentration in optical electronics.
- 5+ years elated electronic design experience, including analog and digital circuit design, microprocessor programming, board layout and troubleshooting.
- Experience in firmware, C++ programming and other software development is preferred.
- Strong understanding of regulatory compliance including UL, cUL, CE, FCC, FDA.
- Familiarity with project management tools including tracking sheets, Gantt charts, metrics, etc.
- Strong understanding of Power Supply topologies and the different factors surrounding their design (Power Factor, Ripple, Heat Dissipation, Efficiency, etc).
- Design, verification, and troubleshooting using basic lab instrumentation: oscilloscopes, multi-meters, emulators, spectrum analyzers, integrating spheres, photometers, goniometers, common electronics test and evaluation equipment.
- Low battery powered embedded system design with 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit microcontrollers such as the TI MSP430, Microchip PIC, and ARM M0.
- Self-motivated team player with a strong work ethic, exceptional interpersonal skills, and ability to make decisions independently. Excellent written and verbal communication with the ability to present results in a clear, precise, and timely manner.
- Ability to multi-task and function effectively in an interrupt-driven and fast-paced work environment.
- Values achieving milestones, including team and Company goals.
- Willing to travel - both domestic and international
More info clicks
Power Supply Industry News, online since 2002.
SMPS Power Supplies
™. All rights reserved.